Thursday 29 May 2014

The " Quack" saga !!

An end term tomorrow and am passing  away my time over facebook. But there seems to be an interesting catch. I shall first narrate the incident that is responsible to put me in such a morose mood. While chekcing out random profiles of friends of friends i bumped into a guys profile who was supposedly studying at IIM Calcutta. Seeing the IIM tag attached to it I was bound to get excited like a kid on seeing a lollipop and hence decided to carefully scrutinize the revered profile. On reaching the part where the guy was to describe his favourite books, he had a host of authors mentioned including P G Wodehouse, J.R.R Tolkien, Oscar Wilde, Ayn Randetc etc, which is not so unusual. The unusual part was that all the names were misspelt with the only exception being Chetan Bhagat. Seeing this made me nauseous. I sometimes thought that any decent, well educated person would have brains enough of not bragging to be someone who he isn't. But this is beyond comprehension. I have been coming across a throng of such charlatans recently but all of them did not befit the aforementioned requisites. But someone who belongs one of the best B-Schools in the country was certainly not expected to be a part of the herd. Seeing the kind of people i could bump into, IIM-C is out of my list of "B-Schools i wish to get into"(as if i would've even if i had wanted to).
Anyways, not digressing further,after the initial anger died and i came back to my equable self, i started mulling over this and tried to think of the reasons that makes people pretend. With a myriad thoughts racing through my head, the one that particularly caught my interest suggested it had to be a psychological disorder(no, I'm not terming them mad), an inferiority complex of sorts. I guess such people have under confidence issues and have a phobia of being laughed upon overtly and hence try and shy away from expressing their true selves and end up ascribing to the herd mentality. What i feel towards such individuals is pity more than anything else as they end up being someone else for the sake of someone else, and that too unwillingly.
While my conclusion may be termed as lucidly obfuscating, what it made me realize is that it's not always a charlatan's fault if he is so, but since it isn't mine either, and in spite of knowing i might be forming a wrong opinion even without knowing the person, i shall continue bearing a grudge against anyone who pretends to be who he is not(because that's who i am).

P.S -  You find many such people out there, I just came across one !!

No comments:

Post a Comment